Community Inclusion Gardener
The purpose of this new job is to increase involvement of the general community and those marginalised by society in all aspects of the charity especially in the garden and to improve opportunities for service users to interact with volunteers and members of the community.
There is a one-year fixed term contract, but if this project were to be successful, funding would be sought to continue the contract.
- To work as a gardener, as part of a team, in the grounds of the Erlas Victorian Walled Garden Charity.
- To encourage and support the work of service users, volunteers, other employees and directors of the charity in the garden.
- To actively encourage and to work with outside groups and individuals especially those on the margins of society to become involved in the work of the Charity.
- To contribute to the development of annual garden plans including the planting, cultivation and harvesting work in the garden as well as its long-term development.
- To support the maintenance of gardening equipment and machinery (yearly services).
- To play an active role in improving the presentation of the walled garden and surrounding areas.
- To carry out conservation work in the wildlife areas of the garden.
- To take an active role in escorting visitors around the garden, including during open days.
- To prepare and deliver workshop sessions on garden activities as required by the charity.
- To promote the aims, objectives and work of the charity.
- To comply with all aspects of Health and Safety legislation, including Covid regulations and also Safeguarding.
- To be involved in other activities of the charity as required.
The post-holder will report to the site manager.
The successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced disclosure DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check.
- Horticultural training to at least level 3 or RHS general stage 2 or relevant practical experience across a range of areas.
- Experience of vegetable and fruit production.
- Experience of propagation and plant production for sale.
- Experience of crop planning.
- PA1 and 6.
- Welsh Speaking.
- Experience of producing operational risk assessments.
- Experience or an understanding of the generation of COSHH assessments.
- Experience in the servicing and operation of a range of horticultural machinery.
The closing date for applications is 1st December 2021
If you would like to apply for the post, please send a CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org