Tithe maps of 1838 show an existing garden, although little more is known about this early period. The existing Bryn Estyn House replaced an earlier Georgian house belonging to the Wrexham Lloyd banker family. Frederick Soames, the wealthy owner of a Wrexham brewery commissioned a mock Jacobean mansion and William Goldring of Kew was asked to design a garden to complement the house. His design had a Temple, Loggia and Exedra seat. Avenues of trees, reflecting Egyptian Tomb Gardens were planted, and dressed stone was used to enhance the lake side. The walled garden was used to grow vegetables, fruit and flowers for the House. Goldring’s design shows a formal layout of an orchard as well as bush fruits beyond the walls. The back sheds against the north facing wall were used to store tools, and a boiler room, as well as a mushroom house and potting shed.
Dorothy Harding’s memories as the youngest daughter of the Head Gardener until 1927 give a feel for life in that period.
Dorothy Harding’s memories as the youngest daughter of the Head Gardener until 1927 give a feel for life in that period